America’s Brightness not so Bright but Could be Again


Dear Journal,

As I sit here, the echoes of distant battles ringing in my ears, the phantom pains of wounds long healed aching in my bones, I find myself reflecting on the country I once knew, the country I fought for, the country that was the envy of the world. America, the land of the free and the home of the brave, a beacon of hope and opportunity that shone like a city upon a hill, a light that guided the lost and the oppressed to her shores.

I remember a time when America was great, truly great. We were a nation that others sought to emulate, a nation that inspired awe and admiration, a nation that stood tall and proud, unapologetic in its power, unwavering in its principles, unyielding in its pursuit of freedom and justice for all.

Our freedoms were the stuff of legend, a siren's call to the huddled masses yearning to breathe free. Freedom of speech, of religion, of assembly, of the press—these were not just words on a page, but living, breathing realities, the very air that we breathed, the lifeblood that coursed through our veins. We were a nation where the individual reigned supreme, where the government was a servant, not a master, where the rights of the many did not infringe upon the rights of the few.

We were a nation of innovators and dreamers, of pioneers and explorers, of artists and entrepreneurs. We dared to reach for the stars, to push the boundaries of what was possible, to challenge the status quo, to defy the tyranny of low expectations. We were a nation that celebrated success, that rewarded hard work, that cherished the spirit of competition and the power of the individual.

And the world looked on in wonder. They saw a nation that was not defined by its government, but by its people. They saw a nation that was not ruled by fear, but guided by hope. They saw a nation that was not shackled by the past, but inspired by the future. And they wanted to be like us. They wanted to emulate our freedoms, our prosperity, our way of life.

But now, as I look around, I see a different America. I see a nation that is no longer the envy of the world, but the butt of its jokes. I see a nation that is no longer admired, but pitied, scorned, ridiculed. I see a nation that has lost its way, its purpose, its identity.

Under the current administration, our freedoms are under assault. The very foundations of our republic are being chipped away, bit by bit, piece by piece. The government grows ever larger, ever more intrusive, ever more oppressive. The individual is no longer celebrated, but vilified, demonized, marginalized. Success is no longer rewarded, but punished, taxed, redistributed.

The world looks on in bewilderment. They see a nation that has turned its back on its principles, its values, its ideals. They see a nation that has embraced the very things it once stood against—tyranny, oppression, division, fear. They see a nation that has lost its shine, its luster, its glory. And they laugh. They laugh at the great experiment gone wrong, the shining city on a hill reduced to a punchline, a cautionary tale, a warning to the world.

And my heart aches. It aches for the country I once knew, the country I fought for, the country I bled for. It aches for the freedoms that are being stripped away, the dreams that are being crushed, the hopes that are being dashed. It aches for the America that was, the America that could be, the America that should be.

But I am not just sad; I am angry. I am angry at the politicians who have sold us out, who have traded our birthright for a mess of pottage, who have bartered away our freedoms for power, for control, for personal gain. I am angry at the media that has become a mouthpiece for propaganda, that has abandoned its sacred duty to inform, to educate, to challenge, to inspire. I am angry at the apathy, the complacency, the indifference of a people who have forgotten what it means to be American, who have lost the fire that once burned in their bellies, the spirit that once coursed through their veins.

But I am also resolved. Resolved to fight, to stand, to resist. Resolved to reclaim the America that was, the America that could be, the America that should be. Resolved to restore the shine, the luster, the glory of this great nation, this beacon of hope, this light in the darkness.

For I am a disabled veteran, a patriot, a guardian of the republic. And I will not go down without a fight. I will not let the flame of liberty be extinguished, the light of freedom be dimmed, the spirit of America be crushed. Not on my watch. Not without a fight.

So let this be a call to arms, a rallying cry, a battle hymn for the republic. Let us stand together, my fellow Americans, my brothers and sisters in arms. Let us fight for the country we love, the freedoms we cherish, the dreams we share. Let us reclaim the America that was, the America that could be, the America that should be.

For we are the sons and daughters of liberty, the champions of freedom, the guardians of the republic. And we will not be silenced. We will not be defeated. We will not be denied.

With a heart both heavy and resolved, I make this pledge: I will stand. I will fight. I will resist. For America. For freedom. For the dream that is our nation, the promise that is our future, the hope that is our birthright.

Yours, in service and in sacrifice,

A Soldier Still Fighting

Comments